Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Glenn Hughes On Black Country - "There Will Be Proper Touring"

Glenn Hughes recently had a lengthy conversation with Tony Conley of the Rock Guitar Daily online blog to talk about Black Country, his new band formed with drummer Jason Bonham,(Led Zeppelin, U.F.O., Foreigner) hard rockin' bluesman Joe Bonamassa and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater).

The following is an excerpt from the interview:

I spoke with Glenn at length yesterday about this exciting new band. Here's what he had to say:

"I had a bit of a vision, a dream," Hughes begins, "I had a follow-up to last year's record (the excellent First Underground Nuclear Kitchen, F.U.N.K.) fully written and ready to go, but there had to be a hold up to the follow-up. As you know, I played with Joe at the Guitar Center show in November, shortly after I had wrapped up my world tour. He had asked me to come up and do a couple of my old tunes, 'Mistreated', and 'Medusa', and as we played I looked over at Joe, he back at me, and I said that's it; this is a band!"

There's ample proof of the chemistry shared between the two over on YouTube, and it is pretty obvious that this is not just two successful solo acts getting together for a one-off project. Black Country is their new group, a band, a tribe from and of the black country of England, the home of both Hughes and Bonham.

"I've known Jason since he was a child, what is he? about mid-forties now, and we've played together through the years, on occasion, and when we started playing with Joe and Derek, he just smiled."

Hughes points out that in spite of himself and Bonamassa both having very busy careers, this record may upset things a bit.

"There will be proper touring, not just going out for a few shows here and there. My voice gets stronger as I work, and this will be a touring band. We've got all the songs written, titles are in place, and Joe has clearly told me, 'I want to be in a rock band,' so he's got some Zeppelin in him, and some times he's as bluesy as Kossoff (Paul Kossoff, legendary guitarist for Paul Rodgers' Free). He's singing and writing great stuff as well."

Read more at this location.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...