Thursday, December 16, 2010

Motörhead's Lemmy Tells How He Stole Hawkwind Job

Rock AAA is reporting that Motorhead hero Lemmy discovered his instrument by accident when a Hawkwind bassist failed to turn up for a gig.

And he says it’s a good thing too – because he was never very good on guitar.

In a video interview with The Quietus Lemmy explains: “I was mediocre at guitar. I couldn’t play lead to save my life, or yours. I went for a job with Hawkwind as a guitar player but they didn’t need one.

“The bass player didn’t show up because it was a free gig, but like an idiot he left his bass in the gear van. It was like, ‘Please steal my gig,’ – so I stole his gig.

“They wanted me in the band, so when someone asked ‘Who plays bass?’ they said, ‘He does’. I went, ‘Asshole’ – because I’d never played bass in my life.

“But I must have done something right because I was with them for four and a half years. I found my instrument. I could really play and do something unique on it. Nobody can copy my style – it’s still unique.”

Elsewhere in the conversation Lemmy remembers the first rock’n’roll revolution, explaining: “You’ll never understand what it was like the first time. There was nothing, then there was Bill Haley, Fats Domino, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, all within two years – then they were all gone.

“It was like a punk thing: two years, bang, gone. There will be something with that impact again, but we won’t like it. And that’s just the way it should be.”


The Quietus interviews Motorhead's Lemmy, in association with Loud Pixels from theQuietus on Vimeo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...